Chalice has been serving children in Haiti since 1999 in both urban and rural communities. We have been able to see the long-term impacts of our decades of work, as well as provide immediate disaster relief in the wake of the 2010 earthquake, Hurricane Matthew in 2016, and the 7.2 magnitude earthquake that caused major damage in our Haiti South sites in August of this year.
For families who cannot afford private education for their children, access to quality education is nearly impossible. Public schools are under-resourced, and some parents are mistrustful of the role of education for their children. In the communities where Chalice works, there is a severe lack of adequate housing. Rates of food insecurity are high and malnutrition is endemic among the children. Parents struggle with high rates of unemployment.
Through the support of sponsors and donors, Chalice and our local partners focus on:
- Education – Ensuring each child completes their education until high school graduation, at a minimum. We assist families to afford schools fees, books, uniforms and other necessary materials, and work to instruct parents on the importance of education.
- Nutrition – Our partners ensure children have balanced, nutrient –rich diets by implementing school feeding programs through the support of the Chalice Children Nutrition Program.
- Livelihood - providing opportunities for parents to find work or begin their own income-generating projects.
- All sites have received quarterly funds and are in the process of DFF distribution.
- All schools supported by Chalice’s Haiti North and Haiti South sponsor sites have re-opened.
- Banks are open and families can access sponsorship funds.
- Chalice disaster funding for repairs to St. Pierre School in Previle enabled significant repairs to be completed following earthquake damage.
- Chalice nutrition funding has resumed for school canteens.
- Fuel is more readily available in Haiti North.
*(1) -World Bank - Improving Access to Education for the Poor in Haiti (worldbank.org)
*(2) -UNICEF - Haiti (HTI) - Demographics, Health & Infant Mortality - UNICEF DATA
*(3) - World Bank - Haiti Overview (worldbank.org)