Sending a card or “special money” to your sponsor child or elder

Writing to your sponsored child creates a tangible connection between you and your sponsored child or elder, and they are so excited when they receive your letter directly. This also encourages them to write you back.

In addition, some of our Chalice sponsors like to give extra donations for Christmas, birthdays or other special occasions. We call this “special money”. There are 5 methods for sending a gift of “special money” and we will explain to you what they are in this post.

1. Can I send my child/elder a Christmas card or letter?

Yes! They will be excited to receive them! Cards, letters, postcards, photos, children’s drawings, prayer cards, etc., are all beloved by sponsored friends. Unfortunately, we cannot send any items overseas other than the suggestions listed above, which fit into a standard envelope.

Please note: if you want to be sure the card or letter arrives before December 25, please mail it to us in Bedford before November 14. Of course, they will not mind if it comes after Christmas – they love to receive mail at any time of year!

2.  Can I send money to my child/elder for their own Christmas gift? 

Yes! We call it “special money,” and you can request to make a gift of special money any time of year. Just let us know your child’s code [ex ABC1234] and the amount you wish to give.

Please note: sending special money is different from sending “Christmas money,” which goes towards our Christmas fund. Money from the Christmas fund is pooled and divided among children at all our sites, so every child gets a gift or is able to participate in the Christmas celebrations. Many sponsors like to give 50% of their donation as special money and 50% as Christmas money.

Whichever way you choose to contact us and donate, please be sure to specify Special Money or Christmas.


*(2) online payment portal