Chalice has been serving children and seniors in Paraguay since 2012 in 4 sites in primarily urban communities. Compared to neighbouring countries, there are very few international NGOs working in Paraguay. In the communities where Chalice works, there are no other similar supports. Our family circle-based sponsorship program is highly distinctive in this country.
Children in Paraguay are at a high risk of dropping out of school to find work, exacerbated by the high cost of education after junior high and the few opportunities for post-secondary education. Families who live outside major urban centres have extremely little access to public services. In the communities where Chalice works, families struggle with high rates of domestic and criminal violence.
Through the support of sponsors and donors, Chalice and our local partners focus on:
- Education – Paraguay sees high rates of children dropping out of school to find work. Chalice places emphasis on after-school support programming to keep children in school.
- Nutrition – our partners ensure children have balanced, nutrient –rich diets by implementing school feeding programs through the support of the Chalice Children Nutrition Program.
- Livelihood - providing opportunities for parents to find work or begin their own income-generating projects
Wind: ENE at 8.05 km/h
8°C / 16°C
8°C / 14°C
7°C / 11°C
5°C / 11°C
Our sites in Paraguay:Dominica
– Chalice has partnered with Proyecto Dominica, based in Luque and Villarica, since 2004. Site Director Hermana Ursulina Benítez, O.P and the Dominican Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament oversee the sponsorship program for both children and seniors across five locations. They run four separate homes for boys, girls, seniors and at-risk adults. In addition to sponsorship, the site provides adult skills training workshops on baking, embroidering, sewing, leadership, and entrepreneurship. Dominica site also has a partnership with a local health centre to provide checkups for the children and elderly.Villeta
- Chalice has partnered with the Hijas de Maria Auxiliadora (Daughters of Mary Help of Christians) in the city of Villeta since 2012. Sis. María Graciela Fernández Candia and her Silesian congregation run the sponsorship program from the Centro María Auxiliadora - Villeta (CMAVIL), as well as providing after-school programming and two Soup Kitchens. The site runs an illness prevention program, clinics, dental and parasite programs, and artisanal skills training for women.Don Bosco
– In 2013, Chalice partnered with the Don Bosco Róga Foundation in the cities of of Itaugua and Capiata which are located just outside the capital city of Asuncion. F. Mario Jesús Villalba, sdb and his Salesian congregation oversee the sponsorship program for both children and seniors in the community who are struggling. In addition to sponsorship, the site provides an employment opportunities program for adults and workshops to improve families’ spiritual, socio-economic, and environmental well-being.Ayolas
– Chalice has partnered with the Diocese of San Juan Bautista de Las Misiones in the city of Ayolas since 2013. Under the direction of Javier Duarte Cristaldo, the site runs Chalice’s sponsorship program from a Centre for Children and Adolescents. The site offers after-school support, as well as workshops for adolescents on substance abuse and skills training for mothers. The site has a partnership with a local health centre to provide regular medical check-ups, such as ophthalmology and dental. The Chalice Children Nutrition Program provides nutritious food advised by a professional nutritionist.