Our regions have radiant cuisine, and Latin America is known for its abundance and richness of products. Peru has rich biodiversity due to its geography, with the Amazons and the high-altitude Andes mountains.
Have you ever wondered where potatoes come from? Well, today we’re answering that question. Potatoes are originally from Peru, and there are over 4000 potato varieties in different colors and shapes.
Popular and rich in nutrients, potatoes are part of almost every Peruvian dish. Today, we’re bringing you a delicious Peruvian recipe called “Papa rellena”, or stuffed potatoes. It’s is prepared with white potatoes. It’s an extraordinary dish to share with your family and remember the regions you support!
Did you know? Chalice ensures children have balanced and nutrient-rich diets by implementing school feeding programs through the support of the Chalice Children Nutrition Program.
For the Potatoes
- 5 medium white potatoes
- 3 eggs
- Salt at your taste
- Pepper at your taste
- Boil potatoes and 2 eggs for around 20 to 30 minutes, depending on the size of potatoes.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, slice off the skins and put them in a bowl to mash.
- Add one raw egg, salt, and pepper to your taste. Stir it until everything is mixed. Add more salt to taste.
- Peel the 2 boiled eggs and chop them into 6 pieces.
For the Filling
- 400 grams of stewing beef, chopped in small cubes
- 1/8 tsp of cumin or to taste
- 1/8 tsp of peeper or to taste
- 1/8 tsp of oregano or to taste
- Salt to taste
- 1 small tomato chopped
- 1 medium purple onion finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 1tbs of olive oil
- Heat pan on medium heat, and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Add the chopped beef to the pan, and stir for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the spices, garlic, chopped onion, and tomato.
- On medium heat, cook for 10 minutes and stir occasionally. Reduce the heat as needed. The mixture should be juicy.
- When done, add more salt or pepper to taste.
For Assembling and Frying
- 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour
- Olive oil
- 1 beaten white egg
- Put the 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour on a plate, and dust some on your palms.
- Grab approximately one handful of potatoes and flatten them on your palm in a circle shape.
- Add 2tbs of the beef mixture and pieces of the hard-boiled egg.
- Use your hands to mold the potatoes around the beef, and add more potatoes if needed.
- Repeat with the rest of the ingredients.
- Coat each potato with flour and with the beaten white egg.
- Add about 1 inch of olive oil to the pan and heat it to medium temperature.
- Add 2 or 3 potatoes, and fry each side for 2 or 3 minutes and reduce the heat as needed.
Salsa Criolla (Side dish)
- 1 chopped tomato
- 1 small chopped purple or white onion
- 1 lime (juice)
- Salt and pepper at your taste
- Add all the ingredients to one bowl and mix together.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.